Child Support Discussion Forum

Child Support — What does it all mean?
[+Add your comment]

Who wants to be dictated to by the State on how you support your children — what, how and when?

Whilst many views float around arguing for and against child support, most decent fathers and parents would argue the issue is not whether or not they wish to support their children, but rather the often unfair conditions imposed upon them.

Simply, it's an attack on the nature of a father's freedom and how he best wishes to raise and support his children in the many different ways a responsible father can, which are often more effective and benefical to a child than any 'slap-bang' instrument of government and statism can ever be.

For a father going through separation/divorce, experiencing the loss of family and children, horrendous false allegations, litigation, uncertainty of where your children are and how they are doing, often causes ill health, work and life instability in so many ways. Also, the effects from not having a fully functioning and emotionally present Dad in a child's life can be equally, if not more devestating as their development can be hindered considerably.

Then if that isn't bad enough, along comes an assessment from the Child Support Agency (CSA) for an outlandish sum of money based on your capacity to work at the highest rate when you were fit and able and on fire, which is possibly a stark contrast to where your financial position is today, or will be in the future if you are unable to recover from the upheaval of a traumatic separation that's often compared to a fate worse than death.

From 2006 CSA powers in Australia have increased to not only garnish your wages, but directly withdraw from bank accounts any amount they deem appropriate, siezing assets of any sort to pay the often highly questionable and unjust debts. As Fathers are assaulted with such draconian measures, one can only feel a sense of dictatorship giving rise to a totalitarian society — not a free Australia — causing fathers to unite and fight for their rights and freedom.

As there are many issues surrounding child support and the effects upon fathers, children and families,

Share your opinion and experiences about the pros and cons of child support,
lifting the veil on a most horrid part of family breakup!

Start writing a comment now...

    <Prev 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 Next>801 - 752 Comments +Add Yours Over 945,333 viewsSearch CSA Forum
    By: Action Neil from sa, australia on November 7, 2015 @ 9:32 am
    Neil. Contact the family court...recovery order -contravention application ...has she gone?this is wrong on so many levels..make lots of calls event the DCP-LocalMP do the big knock on all doors..go do it now mate
    800. By: wonder why from sa, australia on November 7, 2015 @ 9:23 am
    what is the CSA....its another Family Court workshop tool, its like fuel for a car it stops an starts engines. It is used by a parent to stop parent time and disrupt a parents extended family enjoying life. Its power is that it can cause such stress that you have to sell your home as the removal of children from a parent cause 100% care to other does now work
    By: robin from nsw, australia on November 7, 2015 @ 11:24 am
    duncan if the kids are under 8 then she is on the pension if all the kids are over 8 then shes on the dole and the goverment says she has to work to get the dole plus how she spends your csa money has nothing to do with them and csa cant stop her. There is a open case in the goverment now to start a basic card for csa but its not passed into the upper house as yet

    Ky if your x has started his own business and its in a company name then csa cant touch any money from that business and have to go of what he says until he does his tax and only if he does his tax
    By: duncan from vic, australia on November 7, 2015 @ 7:25 am
    Hi I would just like to say that my point of view the whole child support thing is wrong. Dont get me wrong Kids need financial support and i am more than happy to provide what my kids need.I am just a truck driver and have to do significant overtime 20 plus hours a week so 60 + hrs a week work and like most people i could be doing much better things than working.My point here is that my income is not high and money need to be spent carefully but CSA insist on me giving my ex $605 per month for the kids ok thats a bit but still if its for the boys ok but some simple adding up of the situation shows my kids do not receive most of what I have been working for all month.The ex does not work income of about $18000 per year from welfare $350 per week plus $140 per week child support from myself.So she is on a low income and child support improves the kids lives but here is the kicker she smokes so their is $100 plus a week being spent on smokes and not the kids. Please dont get me wrong I am a big beliver in freedom and if wants to smoke go for it I strongly object to My money being used to support her smoking habbit when it should be used on the boys at the moment i am paying for my boys swimming lessons even though at the percentage care level I am paying even Csa says she is responsible for the kids cost so why is the irrisponsible party rewarded .Can CSA not have a basics card system where certian percentage of the child support is reserved for different things for the kids for example X% child support payment for accomodation y% for food clothing, z% education, n% for sport and the rest entertainment and sundry expences .I am sure This system would make CSA job easier cause people would be happy to pay child support knowing the money is used benefit their kids and not some one eles and their misses out. Also why is CSA happy to allow someone not to work I am sure we would all like a free ride in life .So CSA needs to calculate a non working party income as if they earned minimum wage.These are just some of my thoughts on a very bad system that when you look at what it actually does probably on balance does more harm to kids than good eg. my situation caues my ex does not spends my child support on the kids. I do not have that money spend on them, so the kids are lossers very sad.
    By: pete from vic, Australia on November 6, 2015 @ 9:23 pm
    How do multicase allowances work??
    If i earn 206,000 have 2 dependants already and pay $20k in child support for one child and another case is opened for a fourth child will i be paying another $20k?? So $40k??
    By: Ky from Nsw, Australia on November 6, 2015 @ 9:16 pm
    My ex has worked full time for twenty years earning around $90000 per year for the last ten years. Today I get a letter from CSA saying his income assessment of $0.00 is accepted and I now have to pay $400 plus per week to him. This is almost double. CSa told me in the beginning that I can change jobs if I want but my income assessment will be based on my earning capacity if it is lower than my last taxable income. How can my ex be able to drop his income by $90000 and they just accept it? The ex is working but I believe he has now started up a company name and probably doing this to hide his income. I asked for an objection and for his income to be assessed on his earning capacity. What are my rights as the paying parent to have this looked into? In reality the idiots at Csa surely must ask how he pays his rent, bills, food new car, phone etc etc if earns $0.00! Please help if you know what I can do about this.
    By: Paul from Qld, Australia on November 5, 2015 @ 5:49 pm
    Ian, thanks for signing, the more we get the more chance the petition has.
    They can't just fabricate numbers, although they think they can. Lodge an appeal immediately with the AAT. If you are being 100% honest here you will win. Do not wait as there are time limits.
    By: carlos from victoria, australia on November 5, 2015 @ 5:15 pm
    Hi IAN

    this has never happened to me but i am not surprised at all.
    CSA seem to have an unwritten law within themselves. it is a very unfair system. an example of how unfair the child support law is that if you underestimate your taxable income you will have to pay the difference at the end of the financial year and possibly a fine as well but if you overestimate your income you will get nothing back.

    By: Need Help from Need help, need help on November 5, 2015 @ 10:01 am
    hi i am tying to log on to father4Equality the have a post that needs to be removed, they do not seem to have an administrator.
    I have been tying for a week to contact father4Equality.or an email address/phone number
    By: Ian King from Queensland, Australia on November 5, 2015 @ 11:04 am

    I have a question regarding the CSA's calculation of "Taxable Income" and "Adjusted Taxable Income".

    My tax return for the year ending June 2015 has been submitted timeously, and the ATO has mailed me my Notice Of Assessment.

    The CSA has ignored the ATO figures, and have determined their own "Taxable Income" amount, significantly higher than the ATO amount. I raised an Objection to the amount, whereon, the CSA rejected my objection, and increased my Taxable Income further.

    I am attempting to understand the legislation, with reference to this page :

    The page states :
    Generally, a parent's taxable income is the amount assessed by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) under an Income Tax Assessment Act for the relevant year of income

    I do not have any Foreign Income, Fringe Benefits or anything else that would trigger the use of an Amended Tax Assessment.

    Within the framework of the law, are the CSA allowed to do this ? Am I missing some information, or is there more recent legislation ?

    Any responses would be appreciated.


    By: Ian King from Queensland, Australia on November 4, 2015 @ 10:15 am
    Hi Paul,

    I have signed the petition, and have posted it to my facebook friends to do the same if they agree.

    I think the petition summarizes the unfair practices of the CSA perfectly.

    I hope that this results in something positive.

    790. By: Paul from QLD, Aus on November 3, 2015 @ 10:37 pm
    Please join this petition, only a concerted effort will bring about change:
    By: Tom from QLD, Australia on November 3, 2015 @ 8:02 pm
    please excuse my ignorance, but what does AAT and SSAT mean
    By: Bryon from QLD, australia on November 3, 2015 @ 11:17 am
    Paul, my situation is similar. and yes, last month i stopped paying! as i think my continuance to pay has actually been the CAUSE of my problem. can you give me your advice?

    CSA provisioned my income at $96,806. I changed this within 2 weeks to an estimate of $56k. it was ACCEPTED.

    a year later, lodge tax return. $55k.

    instead of them finalising it at $55-$56k, they put it back up to $96,806 - WHY???? and HOW????? and WHAT the heck do i do now? other than stop paying. (i support my son directly, CS is just my ex wife's pocket money)
    By: Paul from QLD, Australia on November 3, 2015 @ 10:43 am
    I have just won a battle against CSA, reducing my 'adjusted' income from $360k to a figure that I offered, $100k. Interestingly it appears that the AAT (SSAT has been integrated into AAT) is truly bipartisan. My case was run efficiently and I was given the respect that I expected of CSA.
    CSA have then sent new assessments that don't reflect the ruling of AAT so I'm back into it but it's a fight that I'm not willing to give up on. I now refuse to pay child support, I have a DPO against me and a Domestic Violence order (cleverly constructed by the ex-wife to win support for child access restrictions even though I have 50% custody already). QLD, being the nanny state that it is, treats a DVO as if you have killed someone and the accusation is one of 'you are guilty, now prove your innocence'.
    I propose that every parent across the country coordinate a period where no-one pays child support. If no-one pays, the system will grind to a halt and something will have to be done. There are millions of payers of child support. This will create chaos. So, instead of complaining, let's do something positive. As of 1 Jan 2016, stop paying. If your wage is already garnisheed, quite your job...I did. I know it's not that simple for some but drastic times require drastic measures.
    By: steve from nt, australia on November 3, 2015 @ 12:52 am
    its what they do ken
    By: Ken from Nsw, Australia on November 2, 2015 @ 7:21 pm
    I ring CSA, say the ex is receiving a large sum in inheritance, she has $250,000 from settlement. She has two names on bank accounts, and is hiding her money in the children's bank accounts (which we set up for their future years ago). I asked can they check if she really requires as much support for the kids as I am struggling restarting my life after a court appointed financial raping. They say I can asked for a readjustment, but I have to give them all my financial details. Ok I can do that but then they say I get my details forwarded to her she provides what she wants (not the truth necessarily). I explain that if she knows I have asked for the review she will block access and I will have to go to court again. They say yeh that is why some partners don't do readjustments. Last year they took my tax check, without even notifying me. Yet I say she may be defrauding the system but I have to face loosing access to find the truth.
    I have read many comments on this forum and all I see I rational parents wanting a fair go fair access to and for their children, it is no wonder the less educated and not so stable partners crack under this system of inequity and unfair rules
    By: Mia from wa, australia on October 29, 2015 @ 11:07 am
    "CSA has the power to abuse those whom they see fit (all personal in their view)".
    Two cases below whereby CSA has proven to be unfair and run by individual officers with some personal conflict - I believe.
    My case is one whereby the ex-husband left the country willingly and continually lies to CSA on his earnings and providing outdated info - CSA swallows it whole. I have worked very hard to try to make ends meet, but the ex and his family continues to take me to court for one thing or another. These court processes and under payment had financially crippled me. I raised these cases to CSA about my need to increase support but CSA continues to ignore and be gullible to swallow his side of things as he is the dean and professor of an overseas university (I was once told he cannot lie as of his position). I am just a temp - working from contract to another and being the responsible parent.

    In a case of a father I know, he HAD to leave the country to earn a living and was willing to pay based on what he earns but his ex-wife continually push CSA with false information which was in bridge of so many laws (again no justice - every department just palm it off as "not our case - child support" so the legitimacy of that info is moot). CSA claims he earned at least 200k (p.a.) in the five years he worked but has no real evidence other than the ex-wife giving out false info and not substantiated. The father asked CSA to prove themselves; and CSA said they don't need to but the father has to prove otherwise. Yet CSA refuse to accept the information provided and also made it difficult for the father to return to Australia to do his taxes due to put in a departure prohibition order (DPO)imposed. He escalated the matter to SSAT and they took him to court and put a DPO on him. This DPO means he cannot leave Australia once in; logically this boils down to- 1) see your kids and be totally unemployed and owe ex-wife/CSA thousands of dollars; 2) Don't see his kids and have no relationship, still owe CSA/ex-wife and have this SSAT case hanging. Basically this guy is badly ripped of his rights as a father to his kids by CSA & SSAT and also his human rights. The Family Court continues to be in denial after many cases brought up as their hands are tied when it comes to CSA and SSAT who seems to have this "invisible cloak of protection" against any law. Why?
    In summary, CSA (child support australia) is now no longer here to support the children of Australia in an unfortunate circumstance of a divorce. CSA is to ensure children of divorce will continually be deprived of rightful support - financial and emotional from the rightful parent.
    CSA and SSAT now has the ultimate power over human rights in Australia when it comes to a divorce. The vile ex who can find a supporter in CSA is the winner.
    The so-called Government regulations is just a pretense of fair justice in process. The update on regulation to allow the government departments like CSA & SSAT to be protected from all court cases is in place to protect future court cases against the government is now making Australians stripped of all human rights.
    I now wonder about the national anthem that I had once been so glad and proud to sing; is it of relevance?
    I was once a proud Australian; now I am sadly disappointed in reading and knowing how much injustice is upheld against my fellow Australians. Come on Aussies - can't we all do something about this CSA, SSAT and family court?
    By: fluffyduffy01 from Victoria, Australia on October 29, 2015 @ 2:06 pm
    i am a Grandmother my son has always paid his child support, his ex came to his home saw him doing renovations to his home and now thinks that he has loads of money, he only does a bit at a time with our help both in labour and financially, she has gone back to CSS and now they want him to pay exactly what he was paying on the higher wage even though he is on a lower wage now he is being harassed by CSS and it is sending him bonkers trying to deal with a department that only listens to one side of the argument, when the hell did the scales tip so far over that only women get a fair hearing and men are treated like second rate citizens.
    By: Dave from Nt, Australia on October 28, 2015 @ 7:27 am
    After experiencing life with the CSA , and reading all the comments here I am wondering why such a department even exists . Does anyone out there honestly believe we are better off allowing such a department to control people's life's ?? What would happen if they were never there??? Would the sky fall ? Would countless children starve ?? What would be the outcome if this evil department simply vanished from society ??? Maybe there would be a small percentage of hard luck cases out there ( there always is ) but I hate it when government tries to implement policy based on a few extreme cases when 90% of everyone else can work it out them selves . People must also relies that when the marriage fails and the couples go their seperate ways that there are always going to be consequences . I still fail to see why people expect welfare in this situation , I would rather the government just stay right out of it , I reckon most people would end up doing the best they could for there kids in the long run and there would be a much healthier mental state of the population . So there you go!!!! No CSA , no child support welfare from the government , no reason for them to be involved and we all just work it out , maybe that would make some woman a bit more focused on making a marriage work , even if only for the financial surcurity . I would like to hear from anyone who actually believe in CSA .
    By: Rebecca kenyon from Tasmania, australia on October 27, 2015 @ 12:05 pm
    Hi guys,I thought I jump on board as im a hard working mum who has four boys I have three boys living with me and my eldest who lives with my parents.And I pay them child support each fortnight $120.00 and they refuse to let me see him I haven't seen him for 8 years.I did have supervised contact only.Im disscusted how we have to pay and there doesn't have to be contact Please someone change this it breaks my heart everyday because I'm 100% sure all of the people receiving child support would allow us who pay child support be able to see our children before our lives are over :-(
    780. By: suzy from QLD, Australia on October 25, 2015 @ 10:13 am
    Is there a maximum CSA payment amount? My husband is tired of the CSA harassing him with objections after objections. His ex even now is trying to hold over us the fact our house is worth more than we paid, SO WHAT, that's our gain. If we just pay the maximum then they will leave us alone.
    By: carlos from victoria, australia on October 22, 2015 @ 5:35 pm
    Hi. I have been separated now for for 14years. At the time of separation i had a 1 year old son. My ex was a terrible woman. She has not let me see my son during this whole time, except for one time. She was planning to go overseas for a holiday and needed my signature so my son can get a passport. I signed on the basis that she promised access. Onced i signed i never saw him again. All this time paying my share of child support. The government knows the truth why there is high levels of domestic violence but choose to look the other way.
    By: Bryon from QLD, Australia on October 22, 2015 @ 2:27 pm
    I have seen that robin yes but unfortunately there is "exceptions" of course and its all a bit meaningless. Until they link money to access im not celebrating!!
    By: robin from nsw, australia on October 22, 2015 @ 3:11 pm
    has anyone read TheAustralian they are going to change the way csa is payed. As of the 15 July 2015 the govement is looking at ways to have the receiving parent ( mother )show where the money goes if she uses drugs or drinks/smokes she will get a card only so csa payments can only be used on food ect and the parent who does not make payments could face jail. Worth a read
    By: Bryon from QLD, Australia on October 22, 2015 @ 11:54 am
    Can anyone help with the process to sort this out:

    Last year my "provisional" income was stated (by CSA) as $96,806.

    I promptly changed this to $56k. my estimate was accepted so for the year i paid CS based upon an assessment of $56k.

    THEN i lodged my tax return. my taxable income was $55k.

    THEN i received a CSA notice saying $96,806 and i now had a debt of $5k! how can they do this? my estimate was accurate. it was accepted. how can they revert back to their ficticious figure????
    By: robin from nsw, australia on October 20, 2015 @ 8:30 am
    samantha if you owe any money to csa does not mather if the money is owed from 5 yrs ago a csa debt never goes away. It could stay on the csa list for 20 yrs and in the end you still have to pay. Also from what I was told csa can only backdate 3 months of payments that you owe but each case is different
    By: crippled dad from VIC, Australia on October 19, 2015 @ 4:45 pm
    Hi, like many others here my life is crippled due to my greedy ex. My very quick back story is, my ex leaves me marries a rich guy & also gets a 7 figure inheritance (hidden from the ATO) so gives up work therefore my payments go through the roof & have almost driven me to suicide.

    I've seen some comments about setting up as a consultant, does anyone have any good links or guides on how exactly this works? I work in IT so it could be a good option for me.

    By: brett underwood from sa, australia on October 18, 2015 @ 8:36 am
    hi all as a single dad with full time care of my children the mother is a nutter abusing my children for the second time and posted on social media that i abuse her threaten her with guns taught my children to shoot and the list goes on csa will not make her pay me child support but instead send me letters saying i owe money when the children are in my 100% care and the government even let this mentally ill person teach at a primary school where she is a threat to all chidren i just dont get it i am sick to death of hearing feel sorry for the mental case feel sorry for the mother it is about the children not the mother or the money
    By: Samantha Duvall from WA, Australia on October 13, 2015 @ 1:12 pm
    Hi all fellow sufferers of injustice!
    Here is a rather lengthy story of our situation as in regards to dealing with the CSA.
    My husband has two boys that he is paying child support for and has done ever since we met in 2006. They had been separated 18 months when we met & she left him for somebody else.
    We also have a 5 year old daughter. My husband's ex stopped him from seeing his boys not long after we met & we currently have a restraining order against her for malicious text messages & abusive phone calls. So she has 100% maintenance payments. We are struggling to make ends meet.
    The worst of it all is that when my husband went through cancer in 2011 we notified CSA that he was no longer working through ill health & thought that the payments would cease until he was working again. After 6 months of chemo & radiotherapy he started back to work & CSA backdated the child support payments to include when he was off sick. When we tried to appeal we were told that if you are in arrears it still gets backdated. Same if he was unemployed we would still have to pay.
    To top it all off when I did my tax return last year I had CSA deduct half of it saying I owed this for my son from my previous marriage for arrears in 2010. How come they can backdate money you are supposed to owe but if you said "I wasn't working then" they say you have to notify them straight away & you cannot backdate. It's all bollocks & sucks for any man who decides to start a second family. Where is the money to feed & clothe our 5 year old daughter?
    By: Perth from wa, australia on October 13, 2015 @ 2:01 am
    Juliana perhaps you should be advertising you nonsense on a different site...
    770. By: Perth from wa, australia on October 12, 2015 @ 11:49 am
    I work with electricity at heights etc. After receiving calls from the CSA I am left in a mental state that makes me a danger to my work mates, member of the public and myself. I have identified the CSA as a work place hazard. Work Safe have been notified and have advised me to lodge a complaint with the minister. This I have done. Minister Robert. If your CSA thugs contact me at work again you will be held responsible for any deaths or injuries caused by me either by mistake or by me snapping and hurting someone as a result of the mental stress brought about by any such calls. you have been warned. My mental state is getting worse

    These cowardly thugs have been asked to call me afters hours to reduce the risk. They refuse stating they don't work after hours. Too bad.

    I have requested that all communication go through the normal postal system. this isn't favourable for them because it makes it harder for them to threaten you when there is a paper record and there is no "filtering" by the retard on the other end of the phone when she enters one sided notes of the conversation on her computer.

    By: gary from Queensland, Australia on October 8, 2015 @ 8:57 pm
    Need help with what to do with my ex trying to keep me from my lil girl from me. What can i do who can i talk to
    By: Tony from Qld, Australia on October 8, 2015 @ 6:35 pm
    Csa did a Coa for extra medical expenses. I have private health care cover that includes child. They halved the extra cost between us minus all rebates now ex saying I have to give her all of rebate? Please advise!
    By: scott from NSW, Australia on September 28, 2015 @ 6:18 pm
    I have been paying child maintenance each week now for 5yrs on a private agreement. I recently sent a email requesting 50% of my child to my ex partner and the following week receive a ph call from child support explaining that my ex had contacted them and are now acting on her behalf. I pay my maintenance every week + clothe and im currently paying for a massive dentist bill on my own because my ex feels my childs teeth are not a priority. Csa tell me they dont care about the extra cost &are only interested in monthly payments and my employers details . I cannot understand how these morons work out there stuff but the male in this situation has no choices or legal grounds and is treated apallingly.
    By: lyndon from qld, aus on September 26, 2015 @ 1:42 pm
    As a payer of Child support with 50/50 care and having to deal with the clowns at Csa , I would like to comment about all the Domestic violence we here about lately and would like other peoples opinions about whats going on ? . I think the Goverment throwing money at the problem wont fix it. They need to take a look at why these men are getting pushed to the limit ( as bet many of us on this have been) losing your family unit and then having a large part of your income taken away . There has not been one comment about the Child support Agencys involment in these peoples live but I can bet they are .
    By: Jan from WA, Australia on September 26, 2015 @ 12:40 am
    Hi guys
    In my situation my ex got the luxury of having 2 cash cows
    One is me after she divorce me 4years back and the other from the bloke he divorced last year summing up to 2 kids from me and 1 kid from him
    I'm so angry about CSA because even you don't have any income they still charge you child support and they will tell you that is dept to the government that need to be payed back when you get a job again
    While I was struggling to pay bills and going through my own family as I also remarried and have 1 child not even having any savings left for my own me ex have a luxury life having 2 people paying her child support and going shopping for clothes and bags and some shit for her own
    I think the government should use their brains to figure out what if us fathers desides not to work anymore because of the fact that it's better to suck up on Centrelink money than to work hard and pay more child support
    For us fathers it's really unfair and this government is stupid
    If you think about it if no one works in the family and you pay rent and you have children we can actually have more money and time for ourselves and just bludger on Centrelink
    This is the reality here in Australia a fucked up one!!!
    Thanks guys
    By: john rose from w.a, australia on September 23, 2015 @ 12:48 pm
    my sons are 28, and 17 no i cannot lend money, i was told by mp for csa and centerlink they cannot do this but csa recons they can , this will end uo in court, which i will not go ,,,anxity , plus i dont want to see her ever again , i have lost all respect for the courts , they dont do nothing for you , she lies thru her teeth and they beliieve everything she says , bloody 16 years of hell with this woman never again
    By: Neil from NSW, Australia on September 23, 2015 @ 12:49 pm
    Thanks, Real CS Info and Oscar for your comments. I think I forgot to mention in my earlier post that my ex-wife is an Australian citizen too and my child was born in Australia. They both have permanent visas for India that will allow them to stay over there indefinitely. She played a very smart move and only moved out of the country when she started getting child support payment. India is not a Hague signatory country so I can't seek help from DFAT to get my son back to Australia. And, because India is a reciprocating country, I'll have to keep paying child support. I've already contacted several departments (DFAT, ISS, Immigration etc) and lawyers in Australia and India, but couldn't get much help. Does anyone know if I can get the child support payment stopped until I get the child custody sorted? Or is there any other way out that I haven't been able to think about? Thanks in advance for any suggestion/comment.
    By: Bruce from Qld, Australia on September 23, 2015 @ 2:28 pm
    How old are your kids john? Can you borrow the money from family and pay them back with your super after the kids turn 18 & CS stops?
    By: john rose from w.a, australia on September 23, 2015 @ 12:05 pm
    i have been divorced from my x for 16 years. thru the courts everything was 50/50 even my super, now i cannot work thru a total disability , i have taken my super out to make it easy for me so i would not loose my house, now child support want 13,000 , is this right, i was told they cannot do this,
    760. By: Real CS info from qld, Australia on September 23, 2015 @ 1:32 pm

    You can ask a court where pending legal action may impact the amount due for a stay order.

    There are two types one that stops csa giving money and the other one that stops collecting. The debt still accrues however

    By: Mike from WA, Aust on September 23, 2015 @ 11:04 am
    My ex has voluntarily left her last 6 jobs and my payments escalate as a result. All my COA's were declined. I feel your frustration mate. My wife and I planned a baby and bought a house and now have been blindsided with a near double in CS payments due to ex's decision to leave her current job and start a business. We are now financially on the ropes. I sat down to object, but everytime I read the letters and lies,and knowing the bias of the case officers, my stress levels go through the roof. My wife and I decided to leave it and get on with ours lives. We are happy, and we know that she is still bitter and angry. A lot of people here will disagree with my thinking, but until legislation changes, those of us who are doing the right thing will always get shafted. The burning feeling in my guts when I think about this is subsiding as time goes on, and I want to be happy and content around my wife and kids, not bitter and grumpy.
    I have 2 boys, one is 14 eldest son turns 18 next month, but payments only drop from 430 pfn to that one out!
    Just look after your health and your kids mate.
    If you have the time and patience to object do so, but as Real CSA points out, you will be wasting your time.
    My accountant advised me years ago to get my car on a novated lease. It lowered my tax but ex alerted CSA and they ended up taking it from my Gross pay anyway and it now doesnt count. You have to start your own business and fudge the figures to lower payments...but that wouldnt be responsible parenting would it...Its a pity CSA dont see it that way.
    Good luck
    By: Neil from NSW, Australia on September 23, 2015 @ 12:49 pm
    Thanks, Real CS Info and Oscar for your comments. I think I forgot to mention in my earlier post that my ex-wife is an Australian citizen too and my child was born in Australia. They both have permanent visas for India that will allow them to stay over there indefinitely. She played a very smart move and only moved out of the country when she started getting child support payment. India is not a Hague signatory country so I can't seek help from DFAT to get my son back to Australia. And, because India is a reciprocating country, I'll have to keep paying child support. I've already contacted several departments (DFAT, ISS, Immigration etc) and lawyers in Australia and India, but couldn't get much help. Does anyone know if I can get the child support payment stopped until I get the child custody sorted? Or is there any other way out that I haven't been able to think about? Thanks in advance for any suggestion/comment.
    By: Real CS info from qld, Australia on September 23, 2015 @ 11:33 am
    India is a reciprocating jurisdiction. If the entitlement was not accurate CSA international would have ended it. The child must be a resident on the day the application was made. Or ordinarily a resident. So she can continue to collect t he child support. The haig convention is best approach as you may be entitled to apply for stay order while pursuing custody
    By: Oscar from SA, Australia on September 23, 2015 @ 9:25 am
    Neil - if your ex is living in a new country and is a citizen of that country, she will now be under their laws, and as such, the Australian laws may not apply (unless there is a cross-vesting agreement).

    Seek some advice. I know seeing your child is most important, however, if you don't have to be paying maintenance then you should stop it as soon as you can. Let her pursue it from India.

    I would be surprised if she is able to apply to the CSA for support when she is a citizen and resident of another country...
    By: John from NSW, Australia on September 23, 2015 @ 10:42 am
    Hello Bruce and Paul.
    I appreciate both of your comments.
    I have submitted a new letter today to the CSA rebutting the claims made by the other party.
    I will let you know how it turns out. In the mean time I will watch this page with interest.
    There are many things you can call the CSA - however, helpful and equality between the sexes when it come to the decisions they make is not one of
    Thanks again for your kind advise and take the time to respond.
    By: paul from Q, australia on September 15, 2015 @ 9:18 pm
    The option that may help is to have her living costs reassessed. She has to declare that she has only a share of living expenses as opposed to her having to maintain a house by herself.
    Also, she made the choice to leave work to have a baby, apply on that basis, they can't refused your applications. Pester the shut out of them then go to the AAT if they continue to refuse your applications. Don't let these Nazis push you around , they really are disgusting in their actions and attitudes.
    By: bruce from QLD, australia on September 22, 2015 @ 5:07 pm
    Hi John, sorry to hear about your situation. Any accountant can help you with that. Really the only way to adjust your income is with a business. once upon a time a rental property was a good way but CSA took care of that with "add backs" is there any way you can be a consultant ? its worth asking the question. otherwise, do you have a new lady friend who owns a business, wants to go into business etc .....? just think of a way to get that income through a fee based service. heaps of people do it. good luck mate
    By: John from NSW, Australia on September 22, 2015 @ 4:25 pm
    Hello All,
    It was a great relief to see there are other fathers in similar situations to mine and see that I am not the only one who is frustrated with the poor and one sided assessments of the CSA.

    Just by way of background - My ex-wife has had a baby with her new partner and as a result she has taken time off work. I am now forced to increase the payments because a) she has a new baby and b) she wants to take time off work and therefore reducing her income.

    Whilst I don't mind paying my share I don't see why my payment has to increase because of decisions made by her.

    I work for a government body and as a consequence I cant do anything about my salary and I am forced to pay more than what I can currently afford. I have a bit in savings, however this will eventually expire.

    I have submitted a request for review and hat seems to be falling on deaf ears.

    My question, does anyone know of a good accountant to enable me to reduce my "adjusted taxable income" - as you know the income the CSA uses to make their assessments is based on a "adjusted taxable income" - not the figure the Tax Dept claims is your taxable income. Therefore I am after an accountant who can identify a way to reduce the adjusted taxable income amount. Again I am happy to pay what was considered the same amount before. But, for the life of me I cant see why I have to pay more as a result of her decision.

    By finding legal ways to reduce your "adjusted taxable income" This then allows me to bring the amount I have to pay to a reasonable level as opposed to the over inflated level I have to pay now.

    Thanks for your time and good luck to everyone.

<Prev 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 Next>801 - 752 Comments
Country ↑Go to Top of Comments
* Comment
** Receive notification when comments are posted
Add numbers:
  1. This forum and site is for the common good of our children. Only through venting our spleens, sharing and caring, uniting and becoming wiser, empathic and more loving men, fathers and elders, can we ever hope to become better providers and protectors, that come close to giving our children what they really need and deserve.
  2. Whilst generally an open forum, any comments deemed to be abusive or vilify members, individuals or F4Joz will not be tolerated resulting in comments either being edited or not displayed. Members may also be banned until further notice.
  3. Keeping this forum informative and educational will only serve it's readers in the best possible way.
  4. All comments including extracts from other individuals must be in quotes naming the author and/or website url.
  5. * For a hyperlink enclose in link tags - ie.<link>text to click</link>
  6. ** Untick to not be notified of other users' comments.
  7. Posts can be edited by user for upto 4 hours from time of post on the condition the IP address used is the same as when the post was created. If corrections are required thereafter, provide post reference and changes via our contact page.
  8. To cease notification of other users' comments from your previous comment/s made click here.
  9. Any comment can be liked or unliked and memory of such likes, indicated by a purple thumbs up, is currently based solely on the static or dynamic nature of the visiting user's IP address as user login details are not recorded on this site.
Hosting & Support by WebPal© 2021 All rights reserved.